New Sprouts Play Food…
We’ve had play food before but the New Sprouts set we’ve been playing with is much better quality than anything I’ve seen before. Each piece is tough with a rubberised coating and feels solid, instead of being hollow plastic that squashes as soon as an unsuspecting victim treads on a stray piece in the middle of the night. The smaller children have played with the set almost every day since it arrived. There are 100 pieces in the set and a variety of different food groups which lends itself to a wealth of different role play scenarios. My toddler has the most wonderful ideas without much encouragement for imaginary play and it is lovely to watch the older two interact with his games and Lil’F model his behaviour.
Without any encouragement he has…
- Set up the shop and invited us to come and buy food.
- Worked in a play cafe bringing us burgers and full-breakfasts.
- Copied me in the kitchen taking out the pans and adding play food to make a wonderful variety of dishes. Sausage and strawberry anyone?
Together we have…
- Sorted the food into groups.
- Talked about colours.
- Talked about the differences of fruits and vegetables.
- Talked about where different foods come from.
- Talked about how we can cook different foods.
- Talked about where we store different food types
Lil’F (16mths) loves taking everything in and out of the box, pretending to stir and bringing me the bowl of cheerios. She watches intently as I pretend to eat and goes ‘Num Num Num’.
The set comes in a wonderful big plastic tub with clip-lock lid and carry handle and has everything from pretzels to baked potatoes with butter. It is priced at £131.94 on Learning Resources Website which I initially thought was expensive until I saw the quality and worked it out as about £1.32 per piece not including the fantastic storage tub. New Sprouts also do a variety of smaller sets around £23.95 – I am very tempted to get the Picnic Basket with cupcakes and watermelon slices and the Serving Set.
Learning Resources offer a huge range of educational and quality toys for all ages and are offering all readers FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS right up until 31st December 2013 with the code BLOGGER13 – wonderful if like me you’re already considering a little bit of Christmas shopping!
~ We were sent the Play Food to review, all thoughts and opinions are our own ~